I just wanted to share a few of my favorite “non-wedding”, “non-portrait” (in a traditional sense) photographers that I love to follow for inspiration. Each year I pick something “technical” that I want to really hone in on and improve upon. Last year it was flash on and off camera. I learned a TON and really improved the way I can light things when I have too. My hat goes off to Zack Arias and his One Light Workshop for showing me how to do a LOT with little equipment.
This brings me to my first inspiration.
1. Zack Arias – You can see his music work here www.zackarias.com. His other site, www.usedfilm.com. Besides being a stellar individual and an excellent photographer, Zack is a wonderful teacher as well. I hope to see him again soon.
2. Jeremy Cowart – Jeremy Cowart is a commercial photographer that lives in Nashville, TN. His work is beautiful and gritty at the same time.
3. Jill Greenberg – Jill the Manipulator is an incredibly talented Canadian-born photographer. Her portfolio is huge and awesome.
4. Dave Hill – Dave Hill Photo. His work is off the hook. He does some crazy photoshop magic to give the images a surreal feel. Very cool.
I have many more inspirations, but these are my current favorites. Who are some of your inspirations?
So this year I actually picked 2 “technical” areas to improve upon.
1. Custom Printing – I have a fantastic professional printer that enables me to print large images. I want to master my Black and White custom prints. This is something new that I want to offer my clients.
2. Studio Shooting – I want to continue my exploration of off-camera lighting with the intention to create unique portraiture of individuals. Simple and clean is the name of the game.
I will be sure to post my progress throughout the year.